Thursday, July 1, 2010

What foods are good for people with lupus?

Our first question from our friend Nancy!
What type of foods are good for Lupus folks to eat and what about alcohol (beer and wine)?  Please advise.
My advice:
As far as what foods are good for people with lupus. I can tell you what foods are not all that great. Alfalfa sprouts are a no no, tomatoes I heard can be bad. Other than that I haven't read anything else. From a personal stand point I say listen to your body. I've found several foods that don't work for me. Wheat is a no no. I feel itchy and my joints hurt worse. Dairy - makes me gassy. Meat - makes me lethargic and so achy and when I ignore those symptoms I started to have really bad abdominal pain. And sugar makes my headaches worse and my joints hurt. None of this happened before my last really big flare. My advice is to listen to your body. It will tell you what doesn't work for it.
Alcohol. I don't drink so I don't really know. If it doesn't interfere with your meds I would think it would be okay in moderation.
If anyone else has any advice or comments please feel free to chirp in! We can all benefit from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment